Friday, January 17, 2014

WWI Letter Home

      Dear Mother,
This doesn't ever seem like this is going to end. Every day it seems like our patients double, constantly making me work extra hours. I have never seen so many people in one hospital. It makes me scared for the people that i know that are fighting in the war. Seeing all these horrible injuries makes me sick to my stomach. When i finally have a break from work all I can see outside is smoke, reminding me that people have died because of those bombs.
Every time i hear gunfire I can't help but to think about Grandpa. He has constantly been on my mind the whole time i have been here. All the patients i take care of have no hope at all. There has been one patient who i will always remember. His name was Jake, I met him before the war in one of the training camps. We became pretty good friends. When we went off to war he would always come talk to me when he had the chance to. It became an ordinary thing for him to do. Every day i would look forward to seeing him. Everything was fine until one evening he didn't come. I felt like everything was fine and he might just be later than usual. A couple hours had passed and i started to worry. At about 11p.m. i heard a group of voices coming through the hospitals doors. Jake was being carried in by two other soldiers. He had massive burns on his skin, i couldn't even tell it was him anymore. The pain coming from his screams were heartbreaking. I tried to help him as much as i could but there was only a certain amount i could do. I spent the last couple minutes he had with him and i could barely handle myself. When he passed i felt like i had nothing to live for.
Ever since Jake's passed the days have gone a lot slower. I have had no motivation lately and it feels like this war will never end. I miss you a lot mom and i wish you could be here with me.
    - Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment